View Single Post
Old 05-27-2007, 01:05 PM   #1161
Giligan
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMachine View Post
*rant born of frustration and despair follows*

The more I browse the Internet, the more I wonder if American anti-Europeanism is in fact rather justified.

I'll admit the current US administration is pretty bad, and I understand why those abroad don't like it. But Bush is by no means the root cause of anti-Americanism; rather, he gave it a convenient excuse to blossom.

From experience I know that most Europeans are nice, gentle folk with plenty of manners, true enough, and this post isn't directed at them.

But there's a vocal minority, present even on this very forum, who think "wit" consists of throwing pointless anti-American jabs into threads where they have no real place, and expecting others to laugh. It bespeaks an arrogance and a willingness to fall back on ignorant stereotypes.

And I wonder: if they can feel good about negatively stereotyping us, why shouldn't we feel good when doing likewise with them?
I've been noticing this trend a lot as well, and feel similiarly. An occasional comment directed at the government isn't bad; making a lot of pointless comments to that effect is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpw View Post
You think that it's bad for Americans, try being a Texan. They keep blaming us for all the troubles.
Hah, that's just the Alaskans. When Texans annoy them, Alaskans just say, "Don't make us split in half and make you the third smallest state!"

Last edited by Giligan; 05-29-2007 at 04:49 AM.