View Single Post
Old 05-15-2007, 11:12 AM   #8
Squinky
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapter11studios View Post
Ooh, why so? A lot of great serialized fiction ends that way, with the viewer (or player, in this case) wondering "how are they gonna get out of this one?"
Yeah, and those make me cringe too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapter11studios View Post
Although in this case, the endings are all about setting up the action/quest for the next episode. So there's a sense of accomplishment/payoff for finishing an episode, but also a clear idea of what you'll need to do when the next one begins.
Well, that's reasonable. Personal preference on my part dictates that the more a single episode feels complete in and of itself, the better it is, mainly because my appreciation for episodic media stems from the fact that episodes are short by nature and therefore accommodate my busy lifestyle. Cliffhangers, other than being extremely annoying for the player/reader/viewer/what-have-you as they wait for the next installment, seem like a cheap marketing tactic that forces people to buy the remainder of your product. While I won't deny that it works, I find that I have much greater respect for media that don't resort to such trickery, and have people coming back for more solely on the basis of previous installments being of a high quality.

Still, it's your game, and you should release it however you like, but bear in mind that advertising cliffhanger endings as a game feature might end up turning some people off. (Or maybe I'm just an anomaly in this sense, in which case, feel free to ignore everything I've just said. )