View Single Post
Old 04-28-2007, 02:12 AM   #18
MasterLoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
Any one of those above people who are willing to invest the time, the hundreds of dollars, and the patience to work the PC just for gaming crosses the threshold from casual gamer to nerd.
The good thing now is that nerd is no longer a swear word. It used to be attached with a person who had problems with body odour, and who had big social problems, and was often quite strange. These days I have heard the word nerd being used in a much wider sense, and often can actually be a compliment. It used to mean all those things above, but now it just means somebody who knows a lot about computers(which of course can never be a bad thing in this computer age, when "everybody" has to see or use a computer from time to time).

http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/N/nerd.html

Anyway, I would say the most casual game you can ever find are the solitary games for Windows. Quite many have played those games casually at work or in a boring lecture at school. It doesn't really require any technical knowledge to launch, and I have never seen any errors(you had to fix) from them either. They are much easier to launch and play as well than any game for console. I remember my sister loved super mario 1 on the nintendo, and love games on the cell phone and such, but I would never have seen her playing one of those newer console games - neither on wii or xbox or ps3... it's just too difficult and too much bother to figure out how to play them before you can really play them. Games like Sonic the hedgehog and Super Mario 1 on the other hand is much more up her street.

Last edited by MasterLoo; 04-28-2007 at 02:18 AM.