View Single Post
Old 04-27-2007, 02:50 AM   #16
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbert View Post
It's not like installing and running games on a PC is rocket science. Hell I started doing it when I was 6.
Actually, if you ask people like working moms, doctors, construction workers, professors, and my sister (a meetings coordinator for lawyers), it IS rocket science. Why? Because their careers and specializations often leave them little time - and little mindset - to even want to try to figure out how to install a game on their PC or laptop. These are the people who rely on geeks like you and me to enlighten them on such necessities as monthly defrags, firewalls, anti-spyware software, and alternative browsers to Internet Explorer. They have no idea what quad core, 5.1 sound, lag, or graphics card is, let alone RAM.

They may know exactly how to work the nuances of Windows Office, Quick Book, and Excel (I bet YOU don't), but as far as hardware they're totally clueless.

For them a console like the Wii and the X360, and portables like the DS and even Tetris on their cell phones far are sexier for a 20 minute romp than taking hours, even days to figure out on the PC could ever be. THAT is what true casual gaming is all about. Any one of those above people who are willing to invest the time, the hundreds of dollars, and the patience to work the PC just for gaming crosses the threshold from casual gamer to nerd.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien