Thread: Death Penalty
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2007, 05:48 AM   #32
bulldog
Second Degree Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
Prisons are no luxury, and not anyone's preferred way to spend time. Visits are twice/week if you've behaved, and didn't mouth off to one of the sometimes stupid and bully-like guards (some are really great guys, though). There are no big TV's, and no dancing girls, in fact, we nurses were the only females that most of the guys got to see at all during their stay. And even visits were behind bars, where they are observed.
The money they do get from their work goes into an account for them which they can use to buy things from the commissary, like candy, cookies, etc. No magazines. Oh, and their mail is censored, even letters, so often they don't even get the mail that's sent to them.
I can't say that all prisons work the same as the one I worked in, but I doubt you'd find anything like you describe, except in the movies or TV.
FGM
FGM is very right; the stuff that you see in the movies is much glamorized.

I have worked as a Probation Officer and a Parole Officer, neither are very glamorous. As a Probation Officer I managed a case load that had 250“clients” (a term we used instead of criminal). When I worked for Probation and Parole both we would go in with the Sheriff’s department and “shake down” cells. Meaning that we would go in a check every crack and crevasse in the cells, we would take out things that clients had made.

I myself have pulled out of cells, large staples that go in boxes, where the clients had filed them down using the concrete blocks that line the cell walls. Toothbrushes, clients had taken and filed the end of it down to make it sharp, then they would take something sharp and place it in the end of the toothbrush. We took clients socks because he had taken his bar of soap and put it in his socks, so when he would get into a fight he would use it to hit someone. The soap in the sock when it makes contact with the skin it leaves hardly any marks.

In my experiences in the jails, the females are much more vicious then the men. The female side of the jail is run just like the male side, except the jails that I have seen the jail will have male correction officers in a booth that over looks the female jail, and female correction officers patrol on the inside, the male officers are not to come into contact with the females, but that is not always how things go either. But like FGM I can’t speak of the jails that I have seen.

I also agree with FGM about some of the guys being alright. When I was a Probation Officer I had several “young” guys ages 18-22, that where in the wrong place at the wrong time, they where mixed up with the wrong crowd. After being on Probation the guys would turn themselves around. But a lot of the guys and girls that are in our jails today where brought up in that turmoil or had a family history of that kind of life and this is all they know.

“Pretty badass and tough and won't take crap from anyone” -Squinky