Thread: Death Penalty
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2007, 04:01 AM   #29
Fairygdmther
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnorkleCat View Post

My only reservation comes with the fact that the justice system is imperfect and there always remains the risk of executing an innocent person. However, I don't see why this is worse than allowing a guilty person parole, during which time he may well destroy another innocent life. I would bet that more innocent people are hurt or killed by recidivist criminals, than innocent people are wrongfully executed by the state.
I was with you until your last paragraph. What if that 'innocent' person were your father, or brother, or fiance. Would you agree then that it was okay to execute him? I think not. There have been several black men on death row, that have been released on DNA evidence - evidence that may have been available, but was denied presentation during their trial. Their only guilt was the color of their skin. And those in for life aren't granted parole, except for very unusual circumstances - often medical reasons.

Yes, recidivists are often the cause of more crime, and sometimes murder, but they aren't often the ones who murdered in the first place, but rather, stole property, arson, etc. Crimes against people, pedophiles, rapists (if they actually get jail time), and murderers don't get back out on the street very easily. And sex offenders wind up in registries for the rest of their lives.

I saw a story of a 16 yr old boy who was a relative neophyte to the internet, and unbeknownst to him, through certain iffy websites, had material downloaded without his knowledge to his computer - material which included photos of naked kids. He was arrested, his computer confiscated, and he was charged as a pedophile. Someone sharp at internet knowledge, was able to prove that everything there, could be gotten without the user's knowledge.
He was freed and got it expunged from his records, otherwise, even though proved not guilty, he would have been placed on the sex-offender's registry for the rest of his life.

My point? Innocents DO get arrested and charged with crimes they don't commit. Or they get mis-identified on a lineup - eye-witness accounts are notoriously inaccurate. There are many reasons as to how this can happen, but it really does happen, and the more high profile the crime, the more pressure the cops are to get a quick solution. Corners get cut, and sometimes innocents get convicted. That's why, when someone get a sentence of the death penalty, there is an automatic appeal. No one wants to execute an innocent person.

FGM