Thread: Death Penalty
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2007, 03:03 AM   #28
SnorkleCat
Explode the Universe!

Send a message via MSN to SnorkleCat Send a message via Yahoo to SnorkleCat

While it is tempting to blame all crimes on society's failings, it is seems a bit unrealistic to do so. People are unique individuals made up of complicated genetic code. Mental health advocacy groups have worked very hard to get mental illness recognized as a complicated spectrum of medical and chemical problems- not just emotional ones which can be fixed through counseling. I think they are right. Unfortunately, one cannot accept that idea and not entertain the possibilty that there may be a genetic component to crime. For example, psychopathy. It has a clear definition and diagnosis. So what causes it? Not all psychopaths grow up to be criminals, and not all psychopathic criminals are killers. It's simply a mental condition that exists.

I do believe that society and environment usually play a role in whether someone commits a crime or not (South Africa's terrible crime rate for example) but it would be pretty naive to deny that one's own genetic make up might also contribute to one's behavior and choices. It's an uncomfortable idea because historically, leaders and thinkers have used such ideas to justify eugenics and Nazism.

That said, I'm not opposed to the death penalty as a concept. It's not that I want to make criminals suffer, and it's not born of some religious need for retribution. For me, it's just a matter of public safety and good sense. I see absolutely no reason to keep some people alive, such as sexual psychopaths, repeat offenders of serious crimes, serial murderers etc. Personally, I'd rather these people be executed than given life in prison. What is the point of keeping someone alive if you've recognized that he's too dangerous to ever rejoin society or that if he does rejoin society he'll probably offend again as he's done three times before? It makes no sense at all.

My only reservation comes with the fact that the justice system is imperfect and there always remains the risk of executing an innocent person. However, I don't see why this is worse than allowing a guilty person parole, during which time he may well destroy another innocent life. I would bet that more innocent people are hurt or killed by recidivist criminals, than innocent people are wrongfully executed by the state.