Thread: Death Penalty
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2007, 06:26 PM   #24
Fairygdmther
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlocko View Post
Isnt a person who commits 30 small crimes far worse than somebody who comited one murder?To me it seems stupid that they can earn money.In the prisons they propably play poker, have big TVs, and dancing girls every saturday.It is not really punishment.
Spoken like one who has never seen the inside of a prison.

I worked at one very large on for a few months in the medical unit - I'm a nurse. We were out in the cell blocks daily. We treated guys who'd been 'ass-raped'. Fun, huh? Also guys who'd been stabbed by spoons, filed down into knives.

Do you know what it's like to be totally without privacy? Even using the toilet? Being watched 24 hours a day?

Prisons are no luxury, and not anyone's preferred way to spend time. Visits are twice/week if you've behaved, and didn't mouth off to one of the sometimes stupid and bully-like guards (some are really great guys, though). There are no big TV's, and no dancing girls, in fact, we nurses were the only females that most of the guys got to see at all during their stay. And even visits were behind bars, where they are observed.

They can and do play cards, though gambling is not allowed. And checkers and chess, though most read books - which have been censored - they can't have anything that might be titillating.

The money they do get from their work goes into an account for them which they can use to buy things from the commissary, like candy, cookies, etc. No magazines. Oh, and their mail is censored, even letters, so often they don't even get the mail that's sent to them.

I can't say that all prisons work the same as the one I worked in, but I doubt you'd find anything like you describe, except in the movies or TV.

FGM