View Single Post
Old 04-23-2007, 12:40 PM   #8
Litrick
hello

ok since i wasnt very clear i will clarify what i meant by casual games

I am refering to the types of games like platformers, or fighting games, or racing games that the average, non computer person who owns a console can pick up, play for 20 mins when they feel like it. Of the type of games you might play with friends having a few drinks. Good examples are Tekken, Gran turismo, crash bandicoot.
What i an terming as "non casual" games, are games like oblivion, command and conquer, the sims, stealth style FPS games (rainbow six), war simulation games.

Insane, i hear what you are saying, i i think you are right, microsoft are making an efort to improve the variety on their system, its just that third party software developers choose more serious geeky type games for the microsoft platform if they are to make an exclusive for it.
As you say right now the ps3 doesnt have any more "casual" (as i just defined ) games than 360, but there are a lot of amazing looking casual games in development with HUGE budgets (lair, heavenly sword, ninja gaiden, ratchett and clank), and remember the system hasnt been out long.

wii is a mixed bag really. You can understand why it sold so well, everyone seems to delight in the controller. Being nintendo you know the games are going to be fun, and lighthearted. Yet... there is just so many amazing games in development at the moment, and most of them will not end up on wii due to hardware constraints. So you really have to compromise when having wii as your only gaming system, because you have essentially got a last gen console, with a fancy controller and a limited selection of games (VC games excluded).
I see the wii as being a secondary console, i.e you have your ps3 or 360, and a wii aswell.

A couple of people commented on installing games on a pc. yep, usually its not hard, but it sometimes can be. Like when i got farcry for example:
I got the disc, put it in,auto run came up, i clicked install... easy right? yep. Start the game, "hang on a second, why is everything blue? there is nothing on screen?"... search forums, find out it is a bug with nvidia cards, and i need to update my driver and download a patch. Now thats not really that hard either, but for someone who doesnt use computers or doesnt even know what a driver is, it is a lot easier for them to put a cd in a drive and press a power button, like on a console.
Lots of people who are not interested in computers, but are in games just wont bother with pc, because it seems to daunting, a console simplifies everything.

insane, i really hope you are right about kameo, would love to see a sequel to that