View Single Post
Old 04-22-2007, 02:54 PM   #1
Litrick
hello

Default Which is the best platform for casual gamers?

PC?
I would have to say certainly not pc. most pc games are RPGs, simulations or war FPS games. Plus you have to go through the hassell of upgrading, installing, updated drivers etc... PC defineatly not a casual gaming option.

Playstation? - playstation 2 and 3
this ranks up there for me, there are a lot of games associtated with the playstation brand which cater to casual gamers. Such as dexter, ratchett and clank, crash bandicoot, singstar, Gran turismo, tekken and a whole bunch of just pick up and play games.
the playstation does also have its fair share of RPGs/simulations too, the system has the best variety in my opinion. This is probably due to the playstation 2s huge sucess and the sheer amount of development for the system.
But i think importantly the sony brand as seen as not a geek brand like microsoft, so the demographic for PS is inherently more casual. I can see this amoung the people i know who own consoles. Everyone at my work who has a console has an xbox (with a few exceptions), and i work in IT. Yet most people i know who are not IT geeks own a playstation or a nintendo. (with a few exceptions)

xbox? - xbox and xbox 360
To me this is slightly less a casual gaming system than the playstation, the xbox seems to attract PC gamers, with the majority seeming to be FPS games. I guess microsoft as a software company just doesnt really cater to casual gaming. with its biggest titles being things like command and conquer. Although having said that, halo borders on casual gaming.
But a good example of the xbox demographic is the failure of Kameo. This game was so amazing. still amoung the best graphics on 360, huge oppurtunity for exploration, but really just great platforming/action gameplay. I cant think of another game like it on 360? and i dont beleive a sequel is being made. I own a 360, but feel like i have nothing to buy, because i am only really interested in pick up and play type games.

nintendo? - wii
To me this platform is all about casual gaming, which is great.
but... i just cannot bring myself to buy a wii.. to me it is just a last gen console (it is slower than a xbox) with a gimmicky controller which is innacurate and doesnt really add much to games once the novelty is gone. it also annoys me that i cant run it in HD.
though more and more i am thinking i should get a wii, just to get away from all of the serious RPG/sim/strategy/war type games which seem to be taking over the other platforms.