View Single Post
Old 04-13-2007, 07:13 AM   #2412
Once A Villain
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk View Post
My original comments where linked to the impression that the theme would have been better in a longer format with better elucidation. The movie feels rushed.
Well, I often find this a problem in movies lately. It's a problem that didn't exist so much before. Filmmakers used to tell a complete, detailed story in an hour and a half. Since they often don't anymore, I'm glad TV is getting better. Almost any HBO series is a gift in this day and age, and I love a good miniseries. More time to tell a story, when the time is used well, is always welcome IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnorkleCat View Post
I didn't think that Iwo Jima was a better film than Flags of Our Fathers, and I'm not certain why that seems to be the popular opinion. I'm inclined to think that a few critics were overly impressed by the fact that one was in Japanese and the other wasn't. Both were well done and representative of Eastwood's directorial style, which seems to be calm, quiet, and introspective.
I strongly disagree. Letters was so much better than Flags that it's shocking both were by the same filmmaker. It has nothing to do with the film being in Japanese. I've seen plenty of godawful movies in Japanese, but Letters wasn't one of them.