View Single Post
Old 04-11-2007, 06:41 PM   #218
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
They preached what would reach the people they spoke to. Mahatma Gandhi, and MLK both kept to the peaceable approach, and both were killed. Jesus is not reliably known. Historically we know he existed, but his life wasn't written about until 400 years later. While I can see him acting angrily, I cannot see him using a sword and causing loss of life.
Thank you for your response. Gandhi and King were pacifists, and I admire them for that and their fight against injustice. They are both modern and definitely real, and there are so many examples of good people in recent history. As far as I know Jesus didn't use a sword, but he uses the word "sword" a few times, for example:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 10:34
Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
I don't think we can know whether he existed or not, the fact that the account of his life was written 400 years (perhaps earlier) after his supposed death in conflicting accounts is not strong evidence to me. There's a gap there, of atleast 40 years. These don't even claim to be first hand accounts. If he was Roman or Greek, would he be marked as mythology? I can accept an historical Jesus, although it's by no means certain, but the gospels are highly unlikely to be accurate, and thus a fiction.

Last edited by Aj_; 04-11-2007 at 07:21 PM.