View Single Post
Old 04-08-2007, 12:17 PM   #7
Terramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader View Post
Its very strange I love all the RPG games but it never occured to me that they are cliched, the last RPG game I played was dragon quest and it was just like the one I played before it star ocean [stories a bit different but basically the same]...the questing does get a little hard to bare after awhile but I still enjoy the quirky character they have...and also the weird names they have for the things you have to fight.
I don't know how long you've played RPGs for, but for me, the story tends to be reoccuring on severaly notes.

I notice most RPGs star some male hero, a female sidekick (Breath of Fire, Lunar, Grandia, Final Fantasy XII, Legend of Dragoon), they have to go from city to city, generally go to a dungeon to help each city for some reason or rather, generally the main character's city is wiped out (Panzer Dragoon Saga, Legend of Dragoon (I think), Breath of Fire, Final Fantasy 10) for some reason or rather, or it's in peril, or it's got something to do with the end of the world blah blah blah.

These days RPGs take themselves too seriously, or just aren't as involving as stories such as those in action adventures like Silent Hill that really try to push to the next level. A number of RPGs also have the same kind of art direction.

And don't get me started on Western RPGs. How many alternative versions of Dungeons and Dragons and Lord of the Rings do you need?

Another thing is they take too long. Back when in school I had the time and the patience to level up characters. Not anymore. I tend to get tired of any game that takes longer than 10 hours to complete. I still plan to play Final Fantasy XII at some stage, but I'll use cheats to get to maximum levels so I can skim through.

It would be nice to see a point and click adventure with the same kind of epic scope and feel of an RPG though. Imagine Final Fantasy 7-9 with point and click, more emphasis on exploring rather than fighting. I kinda wonder why no-one has thought of it before...

Last edited by Terramax; 04-08-2007 at 12:24 PM.