View Single Post
Old 04-02-2007, 10:51 AM   #25
Enter the Story
I turn novels into games

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacog View Post
Thanks for the links!

I bet Microsoft love joystiq! Whose idea was it to choose an alleged spyware promoter as a sympathy figure? That article missed the bigger story IMO, which is that Vista undermines its own security by banning simplicity.

Warning: rant ahead!

I havea simple game, I just want to place three files into one folder, and I don't want to spend thousands of dollars feeding a game registration monopoly. But Vista creates headaches with permissions, it demands that I split the game up into little bits (engine here, data there, saved files somewhere else), and simplicity and transparency become impossible. I spent ths morning removing a copy of Norton antivirus from a machine (and putting AVG on instead). I have serious issues with software that tries to take control away from the user, tries to scare people into paying too much money, and embeds itself deeply into every corner of a machine. Yet that seems to be the only kind of software that Vista will allow.

The linked article implies that the answer to spyware and other threats is ever greater levels of complexity. No, complexity is the problem, not the solution. Encourage programs that stay in one folder and keep their tentacles out of other programs' business. Allow people to write simple code that is easily quarantined, and then security will become far easier and lss intrusive.

As I said in another thread, this is rapidly turning me into a Linux fan, but sadly most of my potential customers use Windows.

Last edited by Enter the Story; 04-02-2007 at 10:57 AM. Reason: adding the word 'alleged' - wild tangent robustly defended themselves in the linked hread