View Single Post
Old 03-24-2007, 01:01 PM   #2329
Aj_
Beyond Belief

The Prestige, as others have said, the mysteries of the ultimate magic tricks are far too easy to deduce. Not impressed with the acting, but Michael Caine was pretty good. The introduction of steampunk elements was perhaps not as gradual as I would have liked. I didn't enjoy it, perhaps it was because I didn't like most of the characters.

Shooting Dogs, like Hotel Rwanda, is a movie set in the Rwandan genocide of 1994. It has a lot of similarities with Hotel Rwanda, but there are key differences. The film is a lot more gritty, there's a lot of gruesome violence, the dialogue, acting, and filming is a lot less stylized and dramatic. Following two British men gives a bit of a disconnect, the genocide isn't happening to the main protagonists, the movie feels more like an observation than being in a genocide. Claire-Hope Ashitey is great in this movie, I hope she gets better roles after Children of Men.

Hollywoodland, Ben Affleck and Adrien Brody are excellent in this movie about George Reeves's death.