View Single Post
Old 03-16-2007, 11:28 PM   #40
orchgamer

Very good points, Buddi. I feel Lily becomes a tragic case because, of the two, she is more agreeable, and was less greedy. The issue I have though, and the reason I said both were motivated by greed, is what happens in their dream. Mephistopheles states that Lily does not care about the money (even calling here "the little brat," if I remember correctly), but she also clearly states that she would like to have Hannibal "all to myself." If she is not a necessary constituent of the pact, then it wouldn't have mattered to have the addendeum about Jody giving up her love for Hannibal. Jody would have just asked for money and separation from Lily. Lily had to get something out of it, (Devil's pacts seem to require this), and her desire to have Hannibal alone set the deal.

Someone please clarify this for me if I am misreading (misplaying?) this, but why include dialouge from Lily in the dream if Lily didn't have to be part of it?
Why isn't Lily a co-signer of the pact? Why not just give Jody separation and money, and end the pact and story there?

I think both sisters did court their fate equally when Mephistopheles influenced them in their dream. Jody of course was more aggressive about her greed, and I think, on a second thought, Jody could have given up Hannibal too, but she wanted him ALONE, and she states this. This statement is what allows Mephistopheles to create a pact with Jody.

Without Mephistopheles, Jody perhaps could have killed Lily on her own (doubtful, but a possibility). Pacts with Mephistopheles always give advantage to Mephistopheles by playing to the signer's weakness (here greed). If Lily was completely innocent (without greed or a weakness for Hannibal) Mephistopheles would not have had a pact.