View Single Post
Old 03-15-2007, 04:21 PM   #37
marsan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davies View Post
Aww, come on! I'm 46 in a couple of months, and hardly feeling too old to play games. The only problem I've got is lack of free time, mostly stemming from my career choice (freelance = long hours).

Look on the bright side: When you're in your 40s, you're likely to have more disposable income to spend on your toys of choice.
well, then maybe it's just me I am 23 and at least the last 6 years I have played quite few games, mostly just a few that was heavily recommended by friends or sequels to other games I already loved in the past. I think the last time I really played a lot of games was back when I was 15/16. I still play games, but I don't like most new games these days. It's mostely just the sequels to classics or re-releases of classics I buy. I don't really like the style of most new games. It just ain't as fun playing them as the classics, me thinks. I miss the days when story was more important than graphics These days it's all about the money. The room for cool and original niches are getting smaller and smaller, and unforunately for me it was the niches that became big hits that I loved the most

I think I will always buy adventure games, though, even though I see a "dumbening down" of the audience there too. The adventure games get easier and easier with less story these days. But then again, the budgets they have to deal with gets slimer and slimer too. I also enjoy some RPG games. But some of the same dumbening down happens there. Like Oblivion, it was smaller than Morrowind(which I loved and still love), you could fast travel so people wouldn't get bored from walking or something like that, the cities looked more similar and the skills upgrading system was made even more automatic. Even though I've bought and played through Oblivion and ordered the expansion pack as well(hey, one has to support those who made great stuff in the past, and Oblivion is still a wonderful and beautifully made game, so it's well worth supporting), it was no morrowind.

Also, I am an "old" PC gamer. I haven't owned a console since the nintendo 8-bit, so just the thought of playing a game on console makes my back shiver. I don't really like the control. I prefer sitting with a keyboard and a mouse instead when playing a game. In my head, a keyboard feels much more natural than a joystick or gamepad, since it's what I love and know. And last, to generalize a bit more. Most of the games released for consoles are a different style than what I like in a game. So yeah, I would probably have stoped playing games if I had to buy them on a console.

Last edited by marsan; 03-15-2007 at 04:30 PM.