View Single Post
Old 03-14-2007, 11:53 PM   #25
insane_cobra
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by daikatana_ View Post
You are not quite right about that, I think it was just the marketing, nothing else. Saturn's hardware was far superior to Playstation's but Sega's poor marketing made it disapear quite fast (what a shame).
Saturn's hardware wasn't really fit for 3D calculations (it lacked hardware support for some operations, used quads instead of triangles and so on), even though certain teams had been able to achieve wonders with it. It was also a lot harder to program for and $100 more expensive at launch.

I managed to dig out a quote from an interview with one of the developers who worked with both Saturn and PlayStation hardware:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezra Dreisbach
The most striking thing about the PSX port was how much faster the graphics hardware was than the Saturn. The initial scene after you just start the game is pretty complex. I think it ran 20 fps on the Saturn version. On the PSX it ran 30,but the actual rendering part could have been going 60 if the CPU calculations weren't holding it up. I don't know if it would have ever been possible to get it to really run 60, but at least there was the potential.

Other than that, it would have looked identical to the Saturn version. Except for some reason the PSX video output has better color than the Saturn's.

So I know something about the PSX. And really, if you couldn't tell from the games, the PSX is way better than the Saturn. It's way simpler and way faster. There are a lot of things about the Saturn that are totally dumb. Chief among these is that you can't draw triangles, only quadrilaterals.