Thread: History
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2007, 06:13 AM   #42
Once A Villain
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnorkleCat View Post
Oh...speaking of WWII and all that., we watched a dreadful old propaganda film from 1945 last night called "My Japan," produced by the US. Government. In it, a white actor (badly) pretends to be a Japanese man explaining why his country will win the war. It's a pretty graphic and shocking video in places, and it uses real war footage. An interesting piece of historical archiving I think. You can download or watch the video at http://www.archive.org/details/MyJapan1945
I couldn't quite make it to much of the war footage. About 5 minutes in I couldn't take anymore. The narrator, while rather hilarious early on, got too annoying over the course of the video. In my opinion, that was a pretty poorly done propaganda film. I was reminded of The Birth of a Nation where white actors played black men, and ended up just looking like Caucasian idiots with black makeup all over their faces. But anyway, I'm sure Japan had plenty of their own horrible propaganda pieces. An example of true QUALITY propaganda filmmaking would be Triumph of the Will by Leni Riefenstahl. It has a HORRIBLE message and yet...it's hard to look away.