View Single Post
Old 03-05-2007, 08:04 AM   #112
rlpw
Creepy Father Figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnorkleCat View Post
I can't understand why people are so reluctant to recognize that the recent (last 150 years) industrial boom, as well as the quickly growing population may indeed be having an effect on the climate.
Of course climate change and regime shifts occur naturally as well, but this amount of industrial activity, coal fired plants, automobiles, fossil fuel use, cutting of forests, farming, and breeding of people is absolutely unprecedented. Even if you are skeptical and believe that global warming theories are "just theories", what would it cost you to just err on the side of caution by becoming less wasteful and more cognizant of what "might" be damaging to the planet and future generations, instead of cruising along until something catastrophic happens to convince you?

Finding sources of renewable, clean burning energy just makes sense to me. Resources are finite and air pollution is clearly a fact. For these two reasons alone, isn't it worth practicing conservation as well as seeking better sources of energy?

I don't get this "Oh I'm such a maverick and no liberal scientist is gonna tell me what to do or what to drive so I'll consume as much as I want cause I'm paying for it" mentality that some people seem to have. It's childish and irresponsible and unfair to the rest of us who give a damn and have to share the planet with people like that.
That is a wonderful stance SnorkleCat. To me it's the global POLLUTION that is more important than the global warming aspect. I never said it wasn't a great idea to control pollution or not conserve energy.

I am just bothered by these people whose sole livelihood is based on how much they can scare us so the government will give them more money. The other thing that really annoys me is that instead of doing things on their own to change things they scream for the government to change them. Let's not get me started on the politicians 'Do as I say not as I do' attitudes.