View Single Post
Old 03-05-2007, 12:16 AM   #25
JemyM

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra View Post
Couldn't disagree more, but there's no point in arguing over this as none of us can really prove anything. I could accuse you of cynically and stubbornly refusing to see that there is a story, just presented in an unusual fashion, and you'd probably keep accusing me - and thousands of HL fans - of seeing things that aren't really there.

I will, however, say that the main reason all those people are waiting in maddening anticipation for Episode Two isn't because their fingers are itching for some more gravity gun action.
Seriously... imagine this situation. You meet someone biased against first-person shooters. He tells you "Why do you play them? They are brainless. There is nothing more to a FPS than shooting stuff. Prove to me that you find anything more substantional in them than that." Now you take the chance, and you get to suggest a few games for him to change his mind.

Would Half-Life 2 be on your list to change his mind?

My first pick would be Deus Ex, along with the hint to not drop the game until the first 2-3 levels passed to allow the story to sink in and see the first of the many U-turns of the plot. I would pick Deus Ex because I know that Deus Ex delivers a professional storyline. A strong, multi-bottomed and philosophical plot that never loose its grasp around the player, from the beginning to the end. It is a plot that would be strong enough to be a book or movie and still it's "just a fps". The game even give you reason to think and force you to make choices that is just one evil over another.

I would never tell him "check out Half-Life 2", because if he plays the first 2-3 levels there would still not be anything holding him there, and why would I suggest to someone like that to play a game for which you actually need a guide to prove that there is a story at all?

Last edited by JemyM; 03-05-2007 at 12:42 AM.