View Single Post
Old 03-03-2007, 08:59 PM   #10
Not A Speck Of Cereal
The Major Grubert.

I bought a few machines (stationary bike and an elliptical) against advice that they would likely end up holding laundry, and they did, but only because I learned how to ride my bike outside almost all the way through the year. If the climate here were less mild, I would have to do something more to get me using those machines.

The main reason they don't get used is boredom. Before I discovered thermals for riding outside, my scheme was to get a cheap flat-screen TV to sit in front of the machines. Music just wasn't enough. I may still do that.

By the way, if you can ride outside, it's definitely better. I ride 20-40 miles a week now. This is nothing for real riders who'll ride that much and more each day they ride, but it's a LOT more than I was getting down in the basement on those machines. If I can get 15-20 miles out of one trip, I only need to ride once or twice a week. If I can't ride one weekend day, I try to do the full 20 miles on the day I do ride. And riding outside is great--I end up at an interesting destination, a goal, and there's no "getting off the machine" weakness--you have to get yourself home, after all.

All told, combining that with proper eating, I went from about 200 lbs down to 165 @ 6' tall and 50yo. (I'm a skinny guy, weighing in at 145-150 when I was in my 20s and ~155 in my 30s. The 40s took it's toll on me.)

At any rate, good on ya for making the jump! It's the best thing I've done for myself in a long time.