View Single Post
Old 02-28-2007, 12:00 AM   #3
Enter the Story
I turn novels into games

Thanks for the link.
Quote:
Originally Posted by After a brisk nap View Post
If your design is well defined and your code is well organized, it shouldn't be too difficult to keep track of the important bits.
That's the hard part! Though in my defense, I am planning ahead for a very large game. The first release will have 30 puzzles each with 10 elements. Every few months I will release a new story into the same gaming world, which consists of several thousand locations and hundreds of characters, objects, etc. Eventually, since the game is designed to be non-linear, it will be possible for a single character and a single scene to be involved in literally dozens (perhaps hundreds) of events at the same time. The potential for confusion is almost infinite. Hence my need to standardize the code!

As for flow charts, I tend to make notes on pieces of paper, then months later when those decisions become critical I can't find which envelope I scribbled on the back of. I think I may have to create a disciplined folder structure where every folder of code has an accompanying folder of diagrams.

Meanwhile I've worked out a template that IN THEORY will do what I want, ensuring that all loose ends are tied up and testing takes less time. And it's quite long. But if it works it should make developing much quicker and more fun. If anyone wants I'll post it here, though it is quite long.

Last edited by Enter the Story; 02-28-2007 at 12:04 AM. Reason: aded a bit about size