View Single Post
Old 02-26-2007, 09:13 PM   #10
After a brisk nap
Elegantly copy+pasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnorkleCat View Post
Hi all...I need a couple of pointers on how to correctly pronounce the names of some Scandinavian composers and musicians. Perhaps write them to rhyme with English words?

Norwegian composer: Geirr Tveitt

Finnish Composer: Taneli Kuusisto

Finnish Composer: Leevi Madetoja

Swedish Composer: Gunnar de Frumerie

Swedish Composer: Ture Rangstrom (with dots over the O)

Thanks in advance! I hate butchering people's names, especially on the radio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giligan View Post
That reiminds me, every time Gunnar Harboe posts an article, I'm always sent into a state of wondering at how you pronoune it. Is it "Gunn-er?" "Gunn-ar?" "Goo-nar?"
Unfortunately there's no way to pronounce it "correctly" in English, because the Scandinavian languages use different sounds that don't exist in English. I tend to say "GUNNer" with the E tending slightly towards an A, but I have friends who use "gooNAAR", and I'm fine with either.

In comment on Trumgottist's audio clip, the pitch pattern would be slightly different in Norwegian, and the U would be less like a short "oo" and a bit more like the French "une".

As for "Geirr Tveitt", the "ei" diphthong falls somewhere between "Gyre Tvyte" and "Gayr Tvayt". Norwegian dialects differ somewhat on this point, but in Oslo it's pronounced "æi", as the vowel in "bad" followed by an I. In some southern English dialects (cockney?) you would hear a very similar diphthong in "bathe".