View Single Post
Old 02-17-2007, 06:55 AM   #26
After a brisk nap
Elegantly copy+pasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal View Post
Um, it's really just a hypothetical study: What if our influence on this planet vanished? There is no cause for realism in this question.
*sigh*

Some miscommunication must be going on here.

When presented with a thought experiment, especially one so evocative, I feel compelled to work out all the implications in my mind, whether you would consider them relevant or not. Being asked to ignore one big part of the situation makes no sense to me. It would be like saying "imagine that tomorrow no one could leave their house, they had to live out the rest of their life inside those walls" and then adding "oh, and forget the fact that they would die of starvation within a month". Does not compute.

Besides, in its starkest form, the scenario has a great deal of elegance. Every human being on Earth suddenly vanishes in a puff of air. It's a miracle, it's simple, it needs no explanation. Adding lots of guff about some mysterious force that lands all the planes and puts out all the fires ruins that elegance, in my opinion. Call it an aesthetic preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz View Post
Man, I've been wondering that ever since I saw bits of it on TV years ago. I keep watching random films hoping they'll be it, but they never are. At least now I know what I'm looking for - cheers Brisko!
Brisko... That's a lot better than the other alternatives. Cheers!