Thread: Just Plain Bad
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2007, 10:13 AM   #6
MoriartyL
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

I'm no good at adventure game puzzles either.

It just occurred to me to ask: Is there any adventure game specifically designed for newcomers? I don't mean a game which is uniformly simple. I mean a reasonably puzzle-focused adventure with -and this may take some explaining since the concept is so foreign to adventures- a good difficulty curve. I am talking of a game which starts out so simple a monkey could play it, and adds on concepts gradually until (by the end) it becomes very difficult indeed. I am talking about a game where the designers thought out what skills the player would need to acquire to solve the puzzles they want to throw at him, and teach him those skills (very subtly) before they ever require those skills of him. A game which approaches every type of puzzle in the same structured way: first give the player a puzzle where it is perfectly obvious how he is supposed to go about it, then immediately afterwards give him a puzzle with the same exact solution but not so obvious, then integrate that type of thinking into the rest of the game. I am speaking of an adventure game capable of preparing a player for adventure games.

Is there one such game, or have adventure developers always preferred showing off the cleverness of their puzzles to actually designing them well? All I ask for is one, because then I wouldn't have a problem with the rest. (For the most part.)