View Single Post
Old 02-09-2007, 09:27 AM   #35
Putrid Moldyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbert View Post
Way to spoil it.
C'mon, I certainly didn't give anything plot-specific away. What I said is nothing you won't find in one of the more balanced reviews of the game out there (read: not IGN's six page essay on why Bioware is brilliant masquerading as a review for Jade Empire).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk View Post
The main story arc is suitably epic . . .
It certainly tries to be epic --the ingredients are there-- but when the game is so short and so small in scope, it just didn't cut it for me. I guess I feel these games should earn the right to be called epic...

Quote:
Even with the aging engine theres still stunning fist loads of visual splender, both in level details (architecture) and character designs.
Yes. It was gorgeous.

Quote:
Where the game fell short I felt was in the fighting styles. To be fair its bioware's first try at real time combat. They got the looks right but balance of powers was rather awkward which is terrible given the rock-scissors-paper format they used. The game can be far too easy or far too hard without changing the difficulty setting. Just based on the fighting styles you coose to hone.
Agreed. Plus it didn't help that the AI was so inept. I can actually claim to have gotten through the game's final two battles with only having been hit once, and that's only because the final boss cheats.

Quote:
Chapter 3 is hardly the end at all. The story just starts to focus more as you become trapped in yet another bioware sole saviour story. And the fightin dial cranks up to 11. If you participate in the later arena stages in chapter 3 (optional) its good preparation.
Different strokes for different folks. I personally didn't enjoy the game after Ch. 3 one bit. I did, however, enjoy Ch. 2 and John Cleese, to be fair.