View Single Post
Old 02-05-2007, 06:29 AM   #57
aries323

In Denmark, young people use the words 'shit' or 'the f...word' a lot. But they do not use these words in the same context as in England or in USA. They way, young people use these word are to depict or describe if they have been surprised over something, if they are angry at something or someone, or if they really don't care about something or someone. It is just a part of the way how young people talk like they also 'wallah' (which is arabic) sometimes. When asked they knwow, that they really shouldn't use this lanuage, when talking to their parents, or at work, or in school, but just use this language when talking amongst themselves.

As for the swearing in games etc. it has some value to discuss this in this thread since many games use swearing and suggestive themes etc. simply to boost sales or to attract the attention of (mostly male) gamers.

From my point of view, TLJ doesn't do that. What Ragnar has done is using the same methods and skills as an author would when writing a short story or novel. Ragnar has used language as a way to characterize people in TLJ, as well as he is describing by their thoughts, and actions. [I could give my students the demo for TLJ and then ask to make person characterization of April and Fiona --- and they would be able to this, simply because of the
way Fiona speaks, and April acts. I could probably do the same with Syberia 1as well].

In a movie (to make this comparision) or a tv-show, when you want to portray a working class (hero) person, you don't let him or her talk like lawyers or upper class people. You portray these people like they would
act and talk in everyday life, including swearing and all.

To me, this is what Ragnar has done, when writing TLJ. I hardly noticed
Zach's swearing at all, but I did get the impression that we was into April, and April wasn't that into him. (and that she thought that Zach was an
a---hole ---).

As for stories on tv and such, I agree with terramax. However, people talk like this, and tv, movies and such reflects the way people talk. If there are more swearing going on in tv-shows, I would say it is because of all these reality shows in which people get to be themselves and such. If you look at
tv-shows like Poirot, Midsomer Murders, Inspector Lynley, Foyle's War,
Return to Aidensfield, etc. --- there aren't that much swearing going on in these shows. (but that's a different discussion for a different thread).

I understand that Terramax didn't like April, nor TLJ, and that's fine. Not every game in the world is meant to be liked by everyone. However, lI like both TLJ and April Ryan. Her negativity towards the world as well as her actions makes sense, because of her family history or rather because of her history with her familiy.

I agree also with Terramax that a good story isn't just a good idea, it also needs a good presentation. Many stories do not have this. However, TLJ seems to have both. It seems also very nordic in its tone and its presentation.