View Single Post
Old 02-05-2007, 01:41 AM   #54
Terramax

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idta View Post
Funny enough not only "poor and working class" swear a lot... I dunno what kinda world you live in but you need to get with the times, they are only words. I am sure you are a misrable man/woman if you cant watch a pg-13 movie and up, or play any teen games...Jeez.... Realx a little, you might be able to enjoy the entertain world more
If you must know, the world I live in is England, where children at the age of about 7 or 8 are swearing at a regulare basis. The PG - 12a films are a contribution to this, along with computer games and television shows that use swearing so often, it's destroying it's original taboo of shock value and destroying the way in which we live because most people cannot even get a decent job as it means avoiding swearing altogether for 6 1/2 - 9 hour shifts, which many people cannot do no. The country that created the real English language is now losing it as an integral part of our society in exchange for cheap laughs (for people like you) and becoming more American English.

I don't think that's being miserable. I'm only worrying about the welfare of my country. I'm not old either. I'm only a little older than you (I'd take the educated guess you were about 15).

I for one like South Park and Cursing Robot as much as the next person. You obviously didn't read my edit to the last post otherwise you would've understood my gripe. And that's whether it's used in the right context. there's using swearing for humour or even to emphasis a power of fear or anger, and then there's immaturity. I'm sure the Norwegan version uses swearing a lot more tastefully in their version (as Panthera said, the word 'shit' is not a swear word, hence the characters are then not swearing) but the English translation should've thought a better way of localizing the game for the sake of better taste in a game we should be taken seriously. I for one don't want to save a world where there appears to be nothing but swearing, unhygienic, idiotic characters.

I can watch Studio Ghibli films without the need for constant swearing or violence and they're amongst some of the most powerful films ever made. Terry Prattchett, a successful fantasy satire novalist, almost never seems to use swearing and he comes out with humour and sophistication that puts TLJ to shame.

A good story isn't just a good idea, but the way it's presented. ICO barely has a narrative structure, but what it has is ambiguous and enchanting (and a terrific ending). There's not much of a plot for My Neighbour Totoro, but it understands what means most to its hardcore audience (children) and even ends up entertaining older generations as well.

There are countless books, films and games that have good ideas, but either don't flesh out what's most important, or self endulges so much it becomes tiresome or patronising. This makes them merely good ideas, but wholely not good stories. TLJ is a good idea, but it's not a good story. And that is my arguement here.

Quote:
This conversation has turned into a personal thing in analyzing what is an OK level of swearing. It's a personal thing, let it go.

Perhaps we can get back to talking about stories in games.
I get what you're trying to say, but I think swearing is an integral part of a story (as much as any other part of dialog in stories). I'm enjoying this conversation to an extent as I'm trying to explain what I believe is a good story hence some might understand the game I'm looking for.

What I'm trying to ask with TLJ is the real logical reason to why people DO enjoy the swearing. Is it funny, does it make the characters more believable?

Perhaps if I mention what was good about TLJ might help matters.>>SPOILERS<<I liked the concept of the two worlds being drifted apart. I also liked some of the locations (such as the cafe and the dream at the start of the game) as the vibrant and almost glowing colours really gave them much deserved atmosphere. What gets me are the unbalanced characters. There are a fair few characters I hate. But not enough I care about. All characters seem distant. There was no connection to characters like that of Final Fantasy. Everyone was alone and it didn't seem that anything that April did really helped matters. And yet April Ryan doesn't seem to have the distant charm of the protagonists in the Silent Hill games that used small implications and bits and pieces of information here and there to tell the narrative rather than long dialog.

Last edited by Terramax; 02-05-2007 at 01:56 AM.