View Single Post
Old 01-23-2007, 12:43 PM   #43
SirDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by akane_t View Post
Why is it that people who like to play P&C adventure games are considered a problem? Why do some people jump to the conclusion that people who like to play P&C adventure games are clinging to the past "for nostalgia's" sake? I like playing P&C adventure games because I liked them. I'm not holding on to the past for the sake of nostalgia. I can't say for others but I like P&C because it helps me concentrate on the story and the game without having to think about how to control the character. It provides me the best form of interface for experiencing adventure games.

If you guys are bored by the P&C adventure games but still would like to enjoy "story-based" games, there are a lot of choices available to you already. Whether a group of gamers like playing P&C adventure games or not will not affect you in any way.
Don't worry. When you read derogatory remarks about P&C games which are often a back-handed slam of any Myst-like games, consider the source. You missed the most 'telling' comment of the poster in question: '... a large part of the community is intelligent and wants a good story in a game.' This is the same poster who sees a great future for games he likes because there are 'gasp' a few games appearing on the 'earth-shattering, sales-breaking' Nintendo DS. I know when I go into Best Buy or Circuit City in the U.S., the Nintendo DS is lining shelves all over the place!

My point has nothing to do with any aversion to story, dialogue-based games- I happen to really like them, though over-all, I prefer P&C games- no, it has to do with the fact that people who prefer story-based 3rd person games resent the fact that a strong sector of the AG community (if not the majority) prefer P&C games and they can't help but show their disdain to the point of making it personal- ie. the remark that infers that somehow we are perhaps less intelligent than those who prefer stories. My response to that is that it takes special intelligence to discern the underlying story in P&C games; we don't have to have a bedtime story read to us.