View Single Post
Old 01-22-2007, 08:15 AM   #35
SnorkleCat
Explode the Universe!

Send a message via MSN to SnorkleCat Send a message via Yahoo to SnorkleCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
Hm. What term would you prefer, "old-fashioned adventure gaming"? Come to think of it, I might prefer that too. But it's more fitting than flattering; I can't see it catching on.
hmm...terminology... names are so difficult because everyone responds positively or negatively to certain keywords he/she has been programmed to react to...I actually wouldn't mind calling that Monkey Island/Steel Sky/Indiana Jones style of game 'old fashioned adventure gaming'- nothing wrong with being old fashioned! I guess my problem with the "classic style adventure gaming" crowd lies in the subtext, which seems to read that anything straying outside the accepted format doesn't deserve to be called a "classic adventure game." I encounter this same problem at work too, where a certain corp of presenters think that if a composition was not written by Mozart, Beethoven, Wagner, Haydn, or Brahms, then it just isn't "as good." I will give myself a concussion one day beating my head against the wall trying to convince people that modern composers are every bit as valid as the ones who came before....I guess I feel the same conservative attitudes exist within the gaming community as well....