View Single Post
Old 01-21-2007, 06:49 AM   #25
sodapop
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoville View Post
If you want sales figures, Myst was the best-selling PC game in the US from its release until 1996. In 1997 it was the second-best, being topped only by its sequel. Curse of Monkey Island - also released in 1997 - was nowhere near the top of the chart, and only sold about 100,000 copies that year compared to the million+ sales of each of the Myst games.

Myst was a huge phenomenon played and loved by many who never touched computer games otherwise. Monkey Island is a classic to a great many computer gamers, but totally unheard of by everyone else.

Maybe things are different in Europe, but in America, comparing the popularity of MI to Myst is a joke.
I'm not saying you're wrong, but I don't consider that a sales figure.
I could post that DOT sold 500,000 copies but without supporting links or documentation why should anyone believe me?

Once again, I'm pretty sure that Myst was a bigger seller world-wide, but I'm not so sure of that here in the states. I don't remember it that way. Stores were selling out of CMI and EMI (All MI). They couldn't keep them on the selves!

Of course maybe I just wasn't paying attention to Myst sales because I thought it was a crap game.