View Single Post
Old 01-09-2007, 02:21 PM   #4
Once A Villain
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiwak View Post
There's just something I don't like about an American director telling a Japanese story as though he's on the inside. I'll see it whenever it comes out here, but I'm going in with pretty low expectations.
Uh oh... Here comes Spike Lee. I'll never forget when he said Steven Spielberg had no business directing Amistad. I was like, "Give me a break dude..."

Anyway, why is that a bad thing? The Japanese actually love that Eastwood made this film. It's doing quite well over there. Even Ken Watanabe, the lead actor in the film, said the only thing that he finds shameful is that it took an American filmmaker instead of a Japanese one to take a look at Iwo Jima thoroughly from the Japanese perspective. He meant that, of course, as a compliment to Clint Eastwood at the same time.

Besides, the film was written by Iris Yamashita and most of the crew was Japanese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21
After Flags can't say i'm desperate to see this.

And i'm fairly sure i'm gonna be pissed when this beats Pan's Labyrinth to the Best Foreign Film Oscar this year.
Well, it's MUCH better than Flags for one thing. Why would you be upset if it topped Pan's Labyrinth at the awards? Letters From Iwo Jima is, in my opinion, the ONLY movie of 2006 that was better than Pan's Labyrinth. And since you haven't seen Letters yet, are you absolutely positive you wouldn't agree (I'm not saying you would, but there's the possibility)? Do you see Flags on my Top 10? No. But there is Letters sitting at #1.