View Single Post
Old 02-29-2004, 04:33 AM   #128
Todd

Ninja Dodo>> Todd, the articles you like so much ramble on to discredit their opponents just as much as Moore's do, but contrary to Moore, they don't actually have anything else to say.

Oh yeah? Then why don't you give me some examples? I'll even help you out with some articles spinsanity.org clipped:

Dude, Where's My Intellectual Honesty?
Moore's myriad mistakes
Moore admits to altering "Bowling for Columbine" DVD
Moore alters "Bowling" DVD in response to criticism
A devotion to distortion [published in the Orange County Register]
Forbes finds more falsehoods in Moore's "Bowling"
Viewer beware
Dowd, Krugman and Moore make inflammatory accusations
Moore problems
One Moore stupid white man
Stupid white lies
The Taliban aid trope re-emerges

Quote:
Forbes Magazine
Bowl-o-Drama
Daniel Lyons, 12.09.02

Michael Moore's Oscar-contender documentary, Bowling for Columbine, pokes fun at corporate creeps and hypocrites in his crusade to figure out who is to blame for the gun-related violence in America. But we've found Moore's facts a little slippery.

TITLE: Moore titled the movie Bowling for Columbine because, he suggests, the two kids who shot up Columbine High in Littleton, Colo., went to a 6 a.m. bowling class on the day of the attack.
ACTUALLY: Cool story, but police say it's not true. They say the shooters skipped their bowling class that day.

MISSILES: Moore wonders whether kids at Columbine might be driven to violence because of the "weapons of mass destruction" made in Lockheed Martin's assembly plant in Littleton. Moore shows giant rockets being assembled.
ACTUALLY: Lockheed Martin's plant in Littleton doesn't make weapons. It makes space launch vehicles for TV satellites.

WELFARE: Moore places blame for a shooting by a child in Michigan on the work-to-welfare program that prevented the boy's mother from spending time with him.
ACTUALLY: Moore doesn't mention that mom had sent the boy to live in a house where her brother and a friend kept drugs and guns.

BANK: Moore says North Country Bank & Trust in Traverse City, Mich., offered a deal where, "if you opened an account, the bank would give you a gun." He walks into a branch and walks out with a gun.
ACTUALLY: Moore didn't just walk in off the street and get a gun. The transaction was staged for cameras. You have to buy a long-term CD, then go to a gun shop to pick up the weapon after a background check.
Also, here's a video from Evan Coyne Maloney of BrainTerminal.com. I've emailed him a few times and he's a really cool guy.

Ninja Dodo>> Inbetween allegations of insanity and bias (that appear to be fairly accurate anyway), Moore makes some very good points that are in no way adressed by the gun-toting NRA.

Curious. In your understanding, what exactly is the NRA?

Ninja Dodo>> I think this is a very good point. The NRA doesn't have a leg to stand on. So in the technique that you so despise they just try to shout down Moore as much as possible.

The NRA doesn't sue more because that's not what they do, and Moore knows that. Even if they did, they wouldn't have a case because Moore only uses clever editing to imply things without making any kind of statement about truth. Moore is a political commentator with artistic license. He has no responsibility to the truth.

The NRA especially doesn't try to "shout down Moore as much as possible." In fact they totally ignore him: http://www.nra.org/

Last edited by Todd; 02-29-2004 at 04:42 AM.