Thread: Ps3...
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2007, 02:39 AM   #268
Litrick
hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj_ View Post
Well, you did say PC games were using the maximum of a Xbox DVD, and that might be true, but a Xbox 360 DVD on the other hand...

Then it's not really going to be richer, it'll just be larger.

Games don't really rely on Windows to support hardware specifications. It depends on the game engine whether there will be alternative content for different hardware.

No one is making games that large, they'd cost too much to make.

Sony and Microsoft seem to think it will, and so do I, it seems pretty obvious to me that it's the future. Other things that needs space sound (but there's enough for that now), oh and videos...

I'm sure it's to do with less dumb developers. There's problems with using high quality video in game, a) it takes resources you would be using for the game, b) the speed of the drive is slow, so if you're already using it for something (most games are pre-loading data), and c) it wouldn't be consistant with the 3D graphics, the game would look poor.

1. The space isn't a problem for sound quality, it's the hardware, and of course, the majority of sound systems people have wouldn't even take advantage of it.
2. No one is going to produce that ammount of sound, it would cost too much, and more isn't always better.

You're talking about the PS3, and that very much has an upper limit on what it can do. Perhaps games will need more space, but until the hardware gets better it would just be used for bigger games, and no one is making them, because a) it would cost too much, b) developers aren't having any problems making large games like Oblivion without coming close to 7GB.

Not only that but there are technologies that will allow for creating much bigger games like Spore, but they don't require as much space. I'm pretty sure I saw a Unreal Engine 3.0 demo where there was procedural generation going on (so that's a lot of games right there), and of course there's Oblivion.

In the past more space available to developers without the hardware or technology to take advantage of it means that some developers make far too many videos for cutscenes.
Space is a huge issue for sound quality. Lets say you have an adventure game with 500 lines of speech, 50 different musical tracks, and a multitude of sound effects. if you dont have enough space for all if this, you just downsample and make the file sizes smaller and the quality suffers. So again, use your imagination and think of games a few years down the track... you dont want to be limited by storage, otherwise the quality will suffer. Same goes for variation in graphics and the size of the gameworld. I agree having a larger storage medium does not necessarily make for better on screen graphics (although it could due to more texture variety, streaming HD videos, possibilities for more character models, background data etc) but it does make it possible to have a mucher larger, richer more varied experience. What would Gears of war be like if it had to be fit on a CD? what could it be like if a full HD DVD disk was used?

your logic holds fairly true if you just look at the past and current games. however in 2 years time, 7 gigs of storage will just not cut it.

As i said in my original post, i beleive developers will be utilising the extra space the blu ray drive allows, (and i am not saying this because i am pro ps3, because i am not) and i beleive microsoft will use their HD DVD drive for 360 games, but only time will tell.