Thread: Audio Files
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2007, 06:26 PM   #31
portabello
Funky Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
Eh. It's fast, but much too random and awkward to keep your interest. The ending sort of works, but it comes out of nowhere and don't you think it's a bit clichéd?
Its a lot more interesting if you see the source code and can fiddle with all the different paramaters. Its more of a proof of concept thing that an actual piece of music.

Quote:
I don't get it. What happened on October 15th? The atmosphere is nice in the beginning, but it's built on mystery. As soon as you can clearly hear what's being said and exactly how the audio file is being chopped up, that's lost and you don't have anything to replace it. It could have gone someplace great, but it sounds like you lost interest before you could get anywhere near there.
Its all just simulacra in a musicological sense. It was written on an older computer and didn't couldn't really handle any more tracks towards the end. But you are indeed right. It loses its focus after the audio clip is heard relatively untouched. I guess this was also more of a proof of concept thing.

Quote:
All I'm going on here is my guess of how it's supposed to sound based on the MIDI, but my impression is that it's just an imitation of every other piece of music in the style. This style doesn't suit you.
This was more an excercise in writing out music straight from my brain to paper without being able to play it first. It would probably would sound better with real instruments.

Quote:
I'm sorry you never bothered to finish them. And as predicted, I can't download them.
No apology necessary. Thank you very much for taking the time to critic those that you did listen to. It is greatly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky
So, I wrote a little piece over the last couple of days. It's slow and slightly jazzy, sounds vaguely MIDI-like because I don't have anyone to play instruments for me, and contains absolutely no singing. I'll likely be using it as background music for a future game.
I really like the melody, but I don't really like how its played. In small group jazz you would almost never hear someone play it in such an exact manner. Its kind of square. I would love to hear a version where the melody was performed instead of just sequenced in.

I actually like the melody so much that I made my own version of the tune: http://www.geocities.com/dominguezaudio/ICFTW.zip
Quote:
By the way, how do you guys do all this fancy MIDI/digital stuff?
Cakewalk home studio or PA9 (when doing straight up Gmidi)
Logic Fun (a cheezy freeware version of Logic, also for straight up Gmidi)
Audacity (for audio editing)
Sibelius (for making handwritten scores look presentable)
Cubase SX (for non Gmidi sequencing with VSTs and audio and stuff)
Pure Data/Max Msp (for audio programming stuff: building synths, generative music, interactive music, etc.)
My only real bit of hardware (other than soundcards and instruments) is my Korg microKontrol midi controller.

Last edited by portabello; 01-07-2007 at 08:32 PM.