View Single Post
Old 01-04-2007, 12:12 PM   #3
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

I think the PS3 will eventually catch up, but it may take more than a year or two for it to do so as a long term investment I'd say it's not a wise one. This is because Sony is losing up to $300 on each console, they CANNOT afford any kind of price drop any time soon (even if they can lower production costs with slightly cheaper hardware, they're still very deeply IN DEBT and need to at least break even), thus it could prevent mainstream consumers (read: NON-fanboys and early adopters) from considering the PS3.

Consequently game developers and publishers may not be as enthused about designing titles just for a console with a comparably smaller install base, thus fewer exclusives (as we've already seen happening with once PS3 exclusive titles going multiplatform). After all, why buy a $600 console when you can enjoy the same game on a $400 one (or even a $250 one)?

I'd say stay away from the PS3 for at least a couple years until many more games launch for it and maybe, JUST maybe, a $10 price drop (LOL!!), and DO NOT fall into the trap of wanting to be among the first to brag about playing MGS4 or FFXIIIMMMCCC. It's just not worth parting with $600 this year.

Anyway, your best bet, Spiwak, is the X360. It has a much larger selection of games, currently the most exclusive titles and diverse titles, listen to your own personal soundtrack while playing your favourite game, watch your DVD movies, the Xbox Live Silver tier of service is free (you can d/l game demos, trailers, HD movies to 'rent', music videos, watch DVD movies, chat/message fellow members like me, Dasilva, and EvoG, and....erm, tons of other goodies too numerous to mention).

EDIT: Forgot to add, you DON'T need a $3000 HDTV with the X360. For now you can enjoy it on an analog TV. Microsoft is very sympathic that way. Before I got my little HDTV I played Burnout: Revenge and Oblivion on a regular screen and I was still blown away by the graphics. However, once you can afford an HDTV it'll be a very sweet thing indeed.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 01-04-2007 at 12:20 PM.