View Single Post
Old 01-04-2007, 11:46 AM   #1
Spiwak
is not wierd

Default Another "what should I buy?" thread

Sorry for the redundancy in this matter but I figure I'll get more replies if I make a thread of it.

Dilemma: Nintendo DS, Wii, X360.

Scenario: I'm in college and about to get a job that I know I'm gonna hate so to make myself feel better about it I'd like to spend my first paycheck (or spend money now and save the paycheck) from it on something I really want. At first it was a choice between a game system and a DVD player, but I'm fine with my MacBook for that stuff; then it was a choice between a game system and a stack of DVDs/books, but I can always buy that stuff gradually. So now it's a choice between game systems. This is the rundown as I see it:

DS - much cheaper than anything else. Fun games. Not too addictive (from what I've played). Can play with my sister, who has a DS, while I'm at college. Portability is great.

Wii - mid-range price for the home console experience. Should be fun for parties if I ever feel like shelling out for more Wiimotes. Should have some really fun games as the console comes into its own. Zelda.

X360 - will probably win this generation and have the exclusives I care about. More powerful of the three systems, also the most expensive at my college budget. Also would probably need a decent TV. Will not be worrying about Live or the HD drive, so perhaps the Core system will do?

At the moment I'm leaning toward the DS because of the much lower price and the fact the games are only a little more than half the price of "next-gen" games. It should prove the most hassle-free experience and the games seem like a lot of fun. I dunno how it works yet but being able to play SCUMM games on it would be sweet.

What are your thoughts on each system, considering that price, ease, longevity, and fun are my main concerns? Also, any nice deals related to any one of these systems?