View Single Post
Old 12-31-2006, 02:22 AM   #12
NemelChelovek
The Solomon of Sarcasm

Quote:
Vampyre Story, Gray Matter, Runaway 2, Culpa Innata, City of Metronome, Simon the Sorcerer 4..
City of Metronome isn't even in production right now; it has no publisher or funding. It's not going to be coming out in '07, even if it gets a publisher tomorrow.

Back to the topic at hand, the best adventure game I played this year was Scratches, which received four stars. I thought that was a fitting rating for it; it was an excellent game, but it didn't push any boundaries. The story, acting and puzzles were what made it great, but the gameplay itself was simple first-person point-and-click. Four stars was good; I might've given it four and a half at most.

Some of the games this year, however, got really inexplicable ratings. Barrow Hill got four stars? It had a barely-there story, run-of-the-mill puzzles, and one of the worst endings I've ever experienced in an adventure game of the past five years. I'd've given it 2.5 at most. And Secret Files: Tunguska with 3.5? It had a cut-and-paste conspiracy story with a different MacGuffin, awful voice acting, ridiculous, and contrived puzzles. If it hadn't been for the "hotspot highlight" feature I think I would've eaten the CD and enjoyed myself more.

All in all, it was a mediocre year for adventure gaming in my eyes.

Advertisers don't program morals into their audiences. It would be bad for business.
--Sara Ogaz, Queen of the World

Just about every adventure game includes you needing to combine a ham and a wrench to make a "porkscrew".
--Kevin Wilson