View Single Post
Old 12-22-2006, 12:57 PM   #29
samIamsad
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoG View Post
Good AI is about making the player feel like the NPC's are responding to stimuli in a way we understand and believe. Thief's "AI" was actually quite crude, but felt far more compelling in the way it responded to changes to the environment, making them 'feel' more real.
Yay, my crappy PC running a copy of "The Metal Age" owns you all. That said, all AIs are quite crude. They don't have all that much to do with what science refers to as AI. What game developers have been doing is to code a bunch of static routines, some if-then(-else) conditions cobbled together. Or just more or less a route of scripts to follow.

Yes, games' AIs in and on themselves are indeed quite crude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangentBlack View Post
I'll agree with you on a level, SamIamSad, that some of these games look way too similar. You know as well as I that when one game hits it big, the rest will want to ride the wave to success.
Well, the thing is, I don't understand at all. There are so many games on this list that seem to be essentially the absolute same thing. It's not that this would be a new trend. But are there enough bread crumbs left worth sharing? For most of these titles not, I suppose. But since games making is a relatively risky thing anyway...

Last edited by samIamsad; 12-22-2006 at 01:11 PM.