View Single Post
Old 12-18-2006, 09:39 AM   #18
Christian IV
Adventure Game Researcher

URU offers much that is both subtle and immediately enjoyable, visually, intrinsically and as a new frontier of dynamic versioning and "living" game play, and individual story trees. I have watched and studied it for some time through the surviving D'mala shard called Until URU, in the CC game version, up until now, and look forward to the new release with great interest. It may indeed surpass the original single title releases, Myst and RIVEN were and are wonderful as they are, URU is a come to life version that offers solitude for those who want it, and community involvement for those who enjoy that, so it offers both. I do not know what the new content will be like, but over the years, Cyan has shown remarkable imagination and creative genius, and has taken the time and care to craft the details and the game world in a way that few others have tried. There is a mystery and a sense of unknown about it all, and things are not forced upon the player, indeed much remains enigmatic and unspoken, beyond the curtain so to speak, just as is the nature of real life. I would urge anyone with curiosity to see what may be one of the new frontiers of gaming to try URU, and to give it time, for it has been in development for years now, and the initial trial launch and its closing was not Cyan's choice, but the vagaries of the marketplace at the time and the dearth at that time of DSL subscribers, but there were many thousands willing to try it then according to reliable reports I have seen but do not know for sure. I am not sure how many will sign up this time, but I did see the URU Live forums gain some 4000 new members in a very short time after the word got out that there was a revival on the way.

As a peaceful and intriguing alternative to some contemporary game titles, and one with a deep and participitory story line, URU offers much to many, and I will look to see many interesting and delightful qualities when it is released.

Game Research and History
http://3dworldandgamedevelopers.blogspot.com
Game Patches and Aides
http://www.filefront.com/user/CrisGer
Patch and Fix Packs