View Single Post
Old 02-26-2004, 05:09 AM   #25
Todd

Quote:
Well, wasn't it obvious? That was what Bowling for Columbine was almost entirely about.
I'm just not buying what Moore is selling because it doesn't stand to reason.

Quote:
It points to the fear thing as the driving force behind the whole "right to bear arms" movement.
But fear isn't the driving force; it's most reasonable and natural right to self-defense. Every moment on this planet, including this one of course, thousands of real people are really being cruelly raped, robbed, tortured, murdered, slaughtered, or somehow victimized grotesquely. But not those who are carrying guns. It's not fear that motivates people to own and carry guns. It's the same sense that motivates them to to well in school, find a good job, and save money. It's the realization and preservation of innocent human life. From an article below:

"How often do Americans use guns each year for defensive purposes, some of whom--but for their guns--might have been killed? Criminologist Gary Kleck estimates that 2.5 million Americans use guns for defensive purposes each year, and approximately 400,000 of them believe someone would have been dead had they not resorted to their defensive use of firearms. A government study put the figure at 1.5 million."

Fear, however, *is* the driving force behind the *anti-gun* movement. People have an irrational fear of guns so they elect politicians who promise to control, ban, and destroy guns. It's tyranny by democracy, and something the "rule of law" aspect of a constitutional form of government is supposed to guard against. Voters sell out our own rights, and yet we only buy LESS safety. It's the natural order of things. Wherever people aren't vigilant in learning, a government will usurp our rights.

As your tag-line says "Truth is like a diamond cut with many facets, each of which can be cut, polished and set to advantage." But keep in mind that anti-gun people can't even afford such a luxury. The facts in these articles, though, are interesting enough to read (please note the titles are sarcastic!):

More gun control, please
More gun control, please: Part II

And here are articles about gun laws in other countries some find interesting.

Quote:
But I'm actually referring mainly to the montage of news reports, which featured things like killer bees, terrorists and angry black males on the loose. I think that's a very accurate portrayal of American society.
Hmm, well I'm not sure sure about how stories about killer can portray anything about any society. Such news shows only sensationalize absurd stories to sell commercials.

But the part about fearing angry blacks males smells like Moore B.S. Here's another short article by Larry to debunk his premise that "America's alleged excessive gun ownership results from an inordinate, unfair and implicitly racist fear of blacks." I think you should read it, but here's a key paragraph:

"Twenty-five percent of young black men possess criminal records, according to government studies, either in jail, on parole or on probation. For the most part, murder victims are killed by a member of their same race. But, although blacks comprise only 12 percent of the population, economist and columnist Walter Williams writes, 'According to U.S. Department of Justice statistics, blacks commit 54 percent of murders, 42 percent of forcible rapes, 59 percent of robberies and 38 percent of aggravated assaults. ... In the case of interracial violent crime, blacks are 50 times more likely to commit violent crimes against whites than whites against blacks.'"

Finally, I'd like to say that I don't have a gun, but that's not something I'd like to advertise.