View Single Post
Old 09-21-2003, 03:04 PM   #15
Royal Fool
Statement: Not a meatbag.

Send a message via AIM to Royal Fool Send a message via MSN to Royal Fool

I played GTA3 on PS2 at my friend's house, but I still finished it and got a lot of the extra missions and stuff, heh. I didn't have my own PS2 back then, and although I do own one now, I didn't feel like getting GTA:VC for it at the time.

I tried out GTA3 on the PC, and hated the controls. Not that controlling the character was bad, although it was more stiff due to me only having a keyboard, but what I hated was the mouse aiming. Also, the game was somewhat sluggish on my computer, which was very weird as it isn't that graphically advanced.

So anyway, I finally got GTA:VC for PC. Been playing through it the last few days (I'm at 25%), but I still feel that GTA3 was better. To me, the game doesn't feel polished enough, although there are many improvements that GTA3 lacked, like a lot more variety in vehicles. I really don't get the whole plot and how Tommy manages to get so friendly with Lance and all that. Characters that I thought would get more time in the spotlight are just thrown backstage.

Two things I particularly notice about GTA:VC that are different from GTA3. First, the game runs much better on my computer than GTA3 ever did. It's very fast and has a steady framerate. Also, I notice that the game seems to, how do I put this... store less data about the cars and people that are around you. For example, if I stand in the street and look at a car that's not too far away, then turn around and look back at it, it's gone. Same goes for pedestrians. It's really annoying, as you can't stir up as much chaos because things just keep disappearing if they're not on your screen. This has even been taken to the extremes in a bug that I experienced, where all life in the city ceased to exist until I killed myself.

I think I still prefer the PS2 controls over the PC ones. Controlling helicopters and planes in GTA:VC on the PC is horrible and I'm forced to remap all my keys just to have a specific layout while using a chopper. (I use the arrow keys since I'm left-handed)

I like being able to buy businesses and safehouses, though. A neat feature, although it opens up halfway into the game. The music is also great, just like in GTA3.

So, uhm.. for the moment, I still prefer GTA3.