View Single Post
Old 12-10-2006, 04:06 AM   #6
Kurufinwe

Another reason, I think, is that this turns away from what many people expect from Myst. Sure, there are those who are really into the world, the backstory, etc., but I think the reason why lots of people liked Myst was because they could explore those beautiful worlds with almost no one in them. So, I think a big part of the Myst user base isn't really interested in having to socialize with other people, at least not when playing Myst -- and unfortunately, it's this aspect that Cyan has been putting the emphasis on in their PR. I remember reading a preview of Uru live somewhere some time ago, and basically the only thing it discussed was how you had a house, and you decorated it, a then you had a neighbourhood you could invite your friends to, etc., etc., etc. Well, personally, I can move, I've got a phone, I've got e-mail, I've got voice chat, I visit forums, so I don't really need to pay a monthly subscription to what is supposed to be a game to socialize with people, thank you.

For me, it'll all depend on what the actual gaming part will look like. I know what a MMORPG is, and how it plays like, and what being MMO adds to the gameplay. But a MMOAG? I'm definitely curious, but not sure what to expect (and I really can't imagine what interest it could have, but I'm willing to be surprised). So I guess once real, hands-on previews start pouring in, and if they show that Uru is more than a cross between The Sims and a glorified chat room, and that the MMO aspect actually adds something to the gameplay, then more people will get interested.

Note the if.

(AFGNCAAP: I'm pretty sure GameTap said the game would be available worldwide)
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]

Last edited by Kurufinwe; 12-10-2006 at 04:13 AM.