View Single Post
Old 12-09-2006, 10:32 AM   #15
After a brisk nap
Elegantly copy+pasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageGothic View Post
I don't know what you consider Gaiman's major works, but it's bloody well obvious that Ragnar Tørnquist read the Sandman comics. TLJ shares many similarities with the A Game of You storyline which was published around 1991-92.
Yes. And many parts of the story aside from just the Stark/Arkadia part. April is a very Gaimanian protagonist, for instance. And Ragnar has named Sandman as one of his big influences, so there's nothing underhanded about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simo Sakari Aaltonen View Post
The plot of The Longest Journey is straight from Michael Ende's novel The Neverending Story. Many would prefer to gloss over this because The Longest Journey was a good adventure game. This is sweeping things under the carpet.

Authors frequently copy the plots of other authors. That is their choice. They should still have the basic decency to acknowledge their source. Especially when they are consistently congratulated on the supposed originality of their work.

Assuming honesty matters to them.
The Neverending Story is another good example of the "two worlds" idea. It is a very common idea, though, so I don't think it's fair to say that Ragnar "copied" the story and didn't acknowledge the source. TLJ is as close to Narnia as it is to Ende's book.