View Single Post
Old 12-05-2006, 02:37 PM   #1841
Lucien21
Psychonaut

Stranger than Fiction

Once again a funny man tries a straight movie in a Kaufman-esque story that blurs reality and fiction. Jim Carrey has successfully done it more than once in Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine and now it's the turn of WIll Ferrell.

Will's character Harold Crick is an IRS auditor who is as boring as his job. Has a strict routine to his day, no real friends and no life.

Then one day he starts to hear an English woman narrating his life as he says it's "About me. Accurately... and with a better vocabulary." When the voice says he is going to die. Harolds life and routine is thrown asunder.

Kay Effiel (Emma Thomson) is a writer of Tradgedies who has writers block and can't seem to kill off the character in her first novel in 10 years.

Harold Crick is that character.

A good movie about the nature of reality.

I enjoyed it although I did have a couple of problems. I didn't completely get the romance part. I know why he would fall for the rebellious baker character, but I didn't quite buy that she falls for him.

I also wasn't sure about the ending. It was a good ending, but maybe it should have stuck with the original ending. The self sacrificing in the name of art ending.

But overall I really enjoyed it and hope Will Ferrell does more of this stuff and less Bewitched.