View Single Post
Old 11-29-2006, 03:08 PM   #63
MrLipid

Speaking as someone who has been playing Wii games, the innovation is that this is the first console that encourages (demands?) full body engagement. One doesn't have to mime bowling to bowl on the Wii, but it seems so natural it would be silly not to. Same with golf and tennis and helping Rayman deal with the rabbids. Well, OK, Rayman is sui generis.

Once the engagement kicks in -- and it does, fast -- the graphics question becomes moot. The graphics are good enough and the rest is just fun.

I recently had a lesson in the potential pitfalls of better graphics. I tossed a 512MB video card into my PC in order to play Condemned. Looked great...and that was about it. Just another Monolith FPS. The "innovation" in visuals did not translate into anything other than a distant appreciation of the textures and lighting effects. Nothing else in the story made sense or made for a desire to keep playing.

Wii bowling, on the other hand, is always worth a few minutes. And as additional titles appear (Elebits looks particularly tasty), there will be plenty to keep the Wii busy.

Put another way, if the Wii didn't exist, I would still not have a console. Neither the Xbox 360 nor the PS3 hold any interest for me whatsoever.

Last edited by MrLipid; 11-29-2006 at 03:18 PM.