View Single Post
Old 11-10-2006, 08:54 AM   #98
Jeysie
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiwak View Post
I think Jeysie's point is simply that you're starting to annoy posters, not just mods, here. Which goes back to that whole consideration thing...
Well, he's starting to annoy *me*, at any rate...

And the analogy seems apt to me. If you think of a thread as a class with a given subject... then private conversations and flirtations that take a thread off-topic and exclude the people trying to pay attention or not in the "chat groups" is the equivalent of disrupting the class.

So, the "teachers" have asked people to keep the chatter to a minimum in class and pay more attention to the subject... and that socializing is fine, just that "class" is not the place for it.

So, to me, yes, the whining student is exactly what he sounds like. "But, teacher, I should be allowed to drag things off-topic and have private conversations in class and ignore everyone else!" I'd almost think he was being satirical if he wasn't being so insistent.

And then he goes and drags this thread off-topic by doing the exact thing the thread was complaining about. That's not "being lighthearted" to me... that's the Internet equivalent of giving the original poster the middle finger. The lack of respect just underscores the whole thing.

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."