View Single Post
Old 11-07-2006, 08:23 PM   #35
Jackal
Hopeful skeptic

If anyone thinks that we've categorically denounced having fun or a reasonable amount of playfulness in Chit Chat, then they weren't reading very carefully. And by making this an appeal to the community itself, it should be obvious that we want people to be active participants in the direction and moderation of this board. We're NOT "enforcing" meaningful discussion or even defining meaningful discussion. That's something we want people to work out for themselves. What we ARE doing is intervening on behalf of what is quickly becoming the silent or disappearing majority. Posts don't have to serve the community, but they do have to be respectful of it, and right now that simply isn't happening to the degree it needs to.

I quite disagree that this post was at all angry or accusative. Of course it wasn't sweetness and light - it was addressing real problems caused by real people. Toes were inevitably going to get stepped on and perhaps egos bruised. I even tried my best to avoid that, but not at the expense of effecting change. A little anger is not evidence of any fundamental error in tone or message, only evidence that some people react differently when taking things personally.

The goal of this is to strengthen the forum on a broader scale than the relative few benefitting right now. I will be utterly mystified if anyone leaves, feeling that a certain amount of consideration for others is too much to ask. But frankly, if that happens, it happens. Sometimes a small step backwards is needed to move forward again when hopelessly caught in a rut.

To address a few other points raised here, nowhere did I say the forum should become more serious. Since when is "meaning" required to be solemn and dreary?

Also, let me reiterate that threads are going to wander and even derail. THAT'S FINE. All I asked is to be thoughtful in doing it. And perhaps even take a more proactive role in bringing threads back around when they do. No one should confuse this as a mandate to never post off topic or devoid of any personality.