View Single Post
Old 11-04-2006, 01:06 PM   #6
aries323

HI

It is my understanding that text adventures were the main genre for one obvious reasons way back in the 1980's: The people writing them were university graduates as well as the people playing them did have a university degree of some sort.

The action games and the tactical games as well as the FPS games weren't that popular simply because the technology didn't support the gameplay.
And, imho, is wasn't before Doom was released in 1993 that the FPS genre were born and computer gaming started to become some sort of mainstream activity/hobby. Also, in 1996, a little thing called Settlers II came out, and kicked the start of the tactical/RTS game/strategy game genre.

I think I need to clarify my post then:
Way back in the 1980's the people played text adventure games, then these people played semi-graphics adventure games, then they played full graphics adventure games. And these people did continue to play adventure games, starting with Myst, The Monkey Island Games etc. These people still play
adventure games --- so it is not the adventure gamers that has declined. The numbers pretty much have stayed the same (and maybe grown a little) -
while the other game genres have grown. The same could be said for the
RPG genre.

My bet is that Ragnar would want to develop and adventure game with FPS element or vice versa, but I still stand by what I said in my first post: An adventure game is measured by its puzzles first and foremost, and by the story surrounding these puzzles.

aries323